Item No: pdcf00523
Title: Walnut Street West/West Philadelphia Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the West Philadelphia Branch, ca. 1906
Historic Street Address:
40th & Walnut Street, SE corner
Print and Picture Collection
The West Philadelphia Branch of Philadelphia Public Library, located at 40th and Ludlow Streets, became a branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia on January 1, 1896. In May of 1901, the branch moved to the Hamilton School Building, at 4105-09 Chestnut Street.
On June 26, 1906, the branch moved into the first of the Andrew Carnegie-funded branches, at 40th & Walnut Street. It was built at a cost of $80,387, on land donated by Clarence H. Clark, a West Philadelphia banker. The architect for the project was Clarence Clark Zantzinger. This ca. 1906 image shows the exterior of the one-story (with basement) French Renaissance-style structure, with a granite foundation and terra cotta walls.
The branch was renamed the Walnut Street West Branch sometime in the 1970s. Located near the University of Pennsylvania, the branch serves the West Philadelphia communities of University City and Spruce Hill.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer