Item No: pdcal00048
Title: Valley Forge Park
Historic Street Address:
1400 N. Outer Line Dr., King of Prussia, PA
Print and Picture Collection
This is a ca. 1930 image, taken by amateur Philadelphia photographer Claude Alexander, showing the parking lot and the Valley Forge Observation Tower, in Valley Forge State Park. The 88-foot tower was built in 1906, on the summit of Mount Joy, the highest point in the park. It gave visitors a panoramic view of the historic park, the Schuylkill Valley and central Chester County.
The tower was condemned and closed in 1979 because of severe deterioration. But it was refurbished and relocated in the 1980s, atop Mount Davis (in Forbes State Forest, Somerset County), the highest point in Pennsylvania.
Claude Alexander - Photographer