Item No: pdcf00502
Title: Wissahickon Branch
Additional Title: Exterior view of the Wissahickon Branch, ca. 1909
Historic Street Address:
Manayunk Avenue & Osborn Street
Print and Picture Collection
The Wissahicken Branch was the ninth Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened in 1909, and built on land donated by the Pencoyd Iron Works. This ca. 1909 view of the building shows an exterior of brick and terra cotta. Designed by the architectural firm of Whitfield and King, it was a one-story structure with a basement.
The Wissahickon Branch served the Wissahickon neighborhood until it closed, along with the Manayunk Branch, in 1969; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch. Sometime soon after, the building that was formerly the Wissahickon Branch (pictured here) burned down.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer