Advanced
Wissahickon Branch

Item Info

Item No: pdcf00503
Title: Wissahickon Branch
Additional Title: Interior view of the Wissahickon Branch, ca. 1909
Historic Street Address: Manayunk Avenue & Osborn Street
Media Type: Photographic Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

 The Wissahicken Branch was the ninth Andrew Carnegie-funded Free Library branch, opened in 1909, and built on land donated by the Pencoyd Iron Works. This ca. 1909 view of the interior shows the main reading room. The one story also had a children's room (not visible), which also served as a lecture room that seated 100. The basement consisted of a boiler room, coal bin, staff room, a small magazine room, and two toilets.

The Wissahickon Branch served the Wissahickon neighborhood until it closed, along with the Manayunk Branch, in 1969; these branches moved into a new building, merging with the reestablished Roxborough Branch. Sometime soon after, the building that was formerly the Wissahickon Branch (pictured here) burned down.


Creation Year: ca. 1909
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:40.019028
Geocode Longitude:-75.210097

Creator Name: Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer