Opened in 2014, the Culinary Literacy Center is the first space of its kind in a public library and serves as a model for libraries worldwide.
The Culinary Literacy Center is based in our kitchen classroom at Parkway Central, but we offer programming at nearly all of our neighborhood libraries. Culinary Literacy Center programs teach healthy cooking, build community, and promote civic dialogue.
Every month, we host over 30 programs throughout the city. Register for an event and you might see:
- Your favorite cookbook authors or local chefs demonstrating how to make a signature dish.
- An immigrant-led cooking class, showcasing the diversity of tastes and cultures in Philadelphia.
- A class of third graders experimenting with new foods and cooking a meal from scratch.
- English-language learners practicing new words while making a new dish–and new friends.
- A registered dietician showing how to build a healthy lifestyle, starting in the kitchen.
Pull up a seat at our table and see what's cooking at the Free Library of Philadelphia!