Edible Alphabet Recipe of the Week: Tacos DoradosBy Lindsay S. Wed, April 28, 2021
by Breshay Woods, Culinary Literacy Center Intern
Edible Alphabet is a free English Language Learning (ELL) program offered by the Free Library's Culinary Literacy Center. Our mission is to teach English language and literacy skills through hands-on cooking projects. For the time being, all Edible Alphabet classes are being run virtually in the interest of public health and safety. During weeks when virtual classes are on break, we will be sharing weekly recipes from our class curriculum and participants.
This recipe for Tacos Dorados comes from an Edible Alphabet English class participant in our Lillian Marrero Library program. She has been attending virtual Edible Alphabet classes since September and has made great progress in her English-speaking skills and confidence. In coordination with Edible Alphabet instructors, she developed and wrote this recipe, co-led class a few weeks ago (all in English!), and it was a great success!
Edible Alphabet English has been offering programming at Lillian Marrero Library in Fairhill, North Philadelphia, since 2018. Starting in 2019, we increased our commitment to English language learners in North Philadelphia by offering our English cooking program year-round. We are currently offering weekly virtual programs that include free grocery pick-up at Lillian Marrero Library for class participants. Please enjoy this recipe for Tacos Dorados and check out all of the other great virtual programming happening out of Lillian Marrero Library.
Tacos Dorados (Serves 3)
- 1 large potato
- 1 carrot
- 1 small onion
- ¼ head of cabbage
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 large tomato (or 1 cup of grape tomatoes)
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1 lime
- 4 oz. cheese (Monterray Jack or other)
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- 6 corn tortillas
- Vegetable oil
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Peel the potato.
- Add potatoes to the boiling water with a pinch of salt. Boil until softened, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Peel and then grate the carrots.
- Finely chop the onion, cabbage, and cilantro.
- Dice the tomatoes and jalapeno.
- Juice the lime.
- Combine carrot, onion, cabbage, cilantro, tomatoes, jalapenos, lime juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Grate cheese.
- In a large bowl, mash the potatoes with a fork. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, and grated cheese.
- Heat tortillas in the oven on low heat and wrapped in a moist paper towel.
- When tortillas are soft, add mashed potatoes and fold in half.
- Add a small amount of oil to the pan on medium-high heat. Add taco and lightly fry on each side (approximately 2 minutes).
- Serve tacos with cabbage salad and hot sauce (optional). Enjoy!
Edible Alphabet is made possible through the generous support of the Dry Family Foundation and Dietz & Watson.
For more information about Edible Alphabet and the Culinary Literacy Center, visit freelibrary.org/cook or email kitchen @ freelibrary.org.
Enjoy this recipe? Leave a comment and stay tuned for more Edible Alphabet recipes in the coming weeks
Have a question for Free Library staff? Please submit it to our Ask a Librarian page and receive a response within 72 hours.