This recipe is from Tracy McGuigan, the chef who leads our Chow Down on Wellness series. Chow Down on Wellness is a monthly program, open to the public, that was created in partnership with a wellness group from the Philadelphia VA Medical Center. Each month, Chef Tracy leads the group in creating a delicious vegetarian meal for which all hands are on deck in the cooking—and eating—process.
Black Lentil Chili with Butternut Squash and Leeks
1. In a large pot, over medium high heat, sauté all the vegetables for a few minutes until tender.
2. Add tomato products, seasoning, and lentils.
3. If there is not enough liquid from the tomatoes, add enough water or stock to cover.
4. Bring to a boil and let simmer for an hour. (The lentils will only take 20 minutes to cook, but let the mixture simmer for an hour to marry the spices.)
5. If the chili seems too thick, add some additional water or stock—if too thin, re-season with salt and pepper.