Edible Alphabet is a free English Language Learning (ELL) program offered by the Free Library's Culinary Literacy Center. The mission is to teach English language and literacy skills through hands-on cooking projects. While Free Library locations remain closed to the public in the interest of public health and safety, we will be sharing weekly recipes from our class curriculum and past participants.
I bought a bag of oranges two weeks ago and they are still sitting in my refrigerator, so this week I’m making a recipe from Edible Alphabet participant Pawarin ("Bee"): Thai Citrus Salad. Pawarin made this delicious and easy-to-prepare dish with pomelo (a large sweet and sour citrus fruit native to Southeast Asia), but a mix of grapefruit and oranges also works great. As always, you can adjust this recipe to fit your tastes, as well as the contents of your refrigerator. Omit the crushed red pepper and / or chili paste to dial down the spice, skip the fish sauce to make your salad vegan, sub cashews for the peanuts—it’s all up to you!
All this Vitamin C has me thinking about the various health and wellness resources and programs the Free Library provides for city residents. Check out our Virtual Programs page to find an online health-based program that’s right for you! Library staff are hosting virtual yoga classes, mindfulness sessions for children and adults, and online exercise classes for seniors. I’ve really appreciated our blog series on self-care resources in the time of social distancing, and all the other great health-related blogs my colleagues have been writing to share resources and information with library users during these challenging times. You can also access thousands of health-related ebooks, podcasts, and databases with your Free Library card. Be well and enjoy the recipe below!
Thai Citrus Salad
- 1 lb. citrus (pomelos, grapefruit, oranges)
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 Tbsp. fish sauce
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1-2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 Tbsp. roasted peanuts
- 2 Tbsp. roasted or shredded coconut
- 2 Tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. diced shallot/onion
- 1 Tbsp. chili paste
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce (to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp. ground black (to taste)
- Add the sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice, lime juice, and water in the mixing bowl and mix until the mixture dissolves together. Next, add the jalapeno, roasted peanuts, coconut, coconut milk, onion, chili paste, and mix together.
- Add the dressing to the citrus and lightly toss.
- Add salt, black pepper, and soy sauce to taste. Lightly mix and then serve.
- If desired, you can top with herbs, cooked chicken, or cooked shrimp.
For more information about Edible Alphabet and the Culinary Literacy Center, visit freelibrary.org/cook or email kitchen @ freelibrary . org. Enjoy this recipe? Leave a comment and stay tuned for another Edible Alphabet recipe next week!