In 1891, philanthropist George S. Pepper made a transformational gift to establish the Free Library of Philadelphia and the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation. Today, inspired by its namesake's generosity, the George S. Pepper Society brings together passionate individuals who share his vision of a rich and vibrant library accessible to all. This premier membership provides highest-level access to the Free Library's programs and special collections throughout the city.
President's Circle | $1,500 to $2,499 | Join or Renew
- Advance ticketing to the Author Events series ±^
- Reserved seating at ticketed Author Events *
- Invitations to Pepper Society exclusive events, including:
- Author Events Season Opener
- Receptions at select Author Events
- Free Library of Philadelphia exhibition previews
- Pepper Forums featuring speakers, panels, and discussions
- Neighborhood library tours
- Concierge services for tours, tickets, and all other library services
- Subscription to Off the Shelf newsletter and the Pepper Society edition of Footnotes, the Library's monthly e-newsletter
- Recognition in Author Events programs and in the annual Free Library Development Report
Beatrix Potter Circle | $2,500 to $4,999 | Join or Renew
All President's Circle benefits, plus:
- Invitations for two to:
- Concerts in the Rare Book Department
- Pickwick Salon, a private dinner featuring a celebrated speaker
- Private tour of the Free Library's and The Rosenbach's special collections upon request (one tour for up to four guests)
- Placement of the annual One Book, One Philadelphia selection in your name at a local school
- Recognition on donor signage in Parkway Central Library
Poe Circle | $5,000 to $9,999 | Join or Renew
All Beatrix Potter Circle benefits, plus:
- Two Author Events series full-year passes
- Private tour of the Free Library's and The Rosenbach's special collections upon request (one tour for up to ten guests)
- Invitation for two to Rosenbach exhibition previews
Dickens Circle | $10,000 to $24,999 | Join or Renew
All Poe Circle benefits, plus:
- Private lunch with a member of the Board of Directors, upon request
- Invitation for two to an intimate dinner with a renowned author
Elkins Circle | $25,000 and above | Join or Renew
All Dickens Circle benefits, plus:
For more information, please contact The Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation at 215-567-7710 or email@example.com
± Advance reservation required, subject to availability.
^ Cost of tickets not included.
Under IRS rules, donors may not receive benefits as a result of a gift made through a third-party funding source (i.e. donor advised funds, family foundations, United Way). Payments cannot be made toward the tax-deductible portion of a gift through a third-party when there is an associated non-deductible portion. If you wish to participate in a membership society and receive benefits, you may not make the payment through a third-party; the entire amount must be paid personally. If you choose to waive benefits, you may make payment through a third-party but must confirm in writing that no benefits will be received. For more information, please contact the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215-567-7710.
Panelists David Cohen, Claire Lomax, and Larry Platt join moderator Robert C. Heim to discuss the importance of having courageous conversations in the civic space and how together, we can overcome partisan rancor, nourish democracy, and forge deeper community engagement.