Somehow, November is just days away and we can't help but start to think about Thanksgiving. Here at the Free Library, we’re thankful for YOU! It’s true! No matter how you use the library or how you support it, you make a difference in our community, and we are so appreciative.
In the spirit of fall, we’re sharing this delicious recipe for Sweet Risotto, created by chef and food educator Dolores Peralta for programming at Fumo Family Library, one of many neighborhood libraries where the Culinary Literacy Center offers cooking classes. This colorful and tasty treat is kid-friendly and sweet – perfect for sharing with friends and family this holiday season!
- 7 cups of reduced-fat (2%) milk
- ½ to 1 cup of sugar, depending on preference
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 cup of arborio rice
- The zest and juice of 1 orange
- ½ cup of half-and-half creamer
- ½ cup of orange marmalade
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of dried cranberries
- Heat milk and sugar in a medium-sized pot, until just simmering.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the rice to the butter and cook, stirring frequently, until slightly translucent.
- Add the orange zest and juice, stirring constantly until the juice is absorbed.
- Add 1 cup of milk at a time to the rice, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to absorb completely before adding more milk. Repeat this process until the mixture is thick and creamy. (You may not need all the milk.)
- Remove the mixture from heat.
- Stir in the half-and-half creamer, orange marmalade, vanilla, and salt.
- Top with dried cranberries and enjoy!