Hoopla: ebooks, audiobooks, Movies, Comic Books, Music, and More!
Hoopla, one of our most popular Digital Media resources here at Free Library, boasts a catalog of more than 300,000 streaming movies, television shows and series, music albums, audiobooks, and even comic books and graphic novels. Think of it like a Netflix for libraries.
You'll find a wide selection of current, popular titles to enjoy for free when you login with your Free Library card and PIN. And because you stream content from Hoopla, rather than download, there are no waiting lists, no holds, and of course, no late fees!
You can access Hoopla over at the Streaming Video section of our Digital Media page.
Here are some Hoopla FAQs and policies to help you get started:
- Every Free Library card holder can checkout 10 Hoopla items per month (any combination of movies, TV, music, etc.).
- The first time you visit Hoopla, click 'Sign Up' in the top right of the screen; agree to the terms of service, select 'Free Library of Philadelphia' as your library, and register with your library card number, PIN, and email address.
- If you or your child logs in to Hoopla using children’s Free Library card, you will only be able to checkout movies rated G or PG, TV shows rated TVY, TV7, TVG, TVPG, and TVY7FV, and music without an explicit lyrics warning.
- If you or your child has a 'Video Restricted' card (parents use these cards to restrict their children from borrowing DVDs in our libraries), you will not be able to login to Hoopla. To change this designation, parents should speak with a librarian at their neighborhood library location.
- Hoopla is compatible with Mac and PC. There are mobile apps available for both Apple and Android devices in the iTunes and Google Play stores.
- The first time you use Hoopla you may be instructed to install the Widevine plugin. Widevine is a plugin designed by Google. It allows Hoopla to play videos in your browser. Widevine is supported by most modern browsers. However, currently Internet Explorer 11 is not supported. If you use IE11, you can download the Google Chrome browser free and use that to watch Hoopla videos. Visitors using the public PCs in our Neighborhood Libraries to access Hoopla should use the Chrome browser.
- If you run into trouble, you can access Hoopla help 24/7. Of course, you can also always contact us with your questions and concerns as well.