Medical information changes rapidly with new research and when new information is delivered to you during a stressful medical appointment, it can be tough to remember everything you were told. Differing levels of education, access to resources, age, language, and cultural differences can all affect a person’s health literacy skills.
October is Health Literacy Month, a month dedicated to helping people find, understand, evaluate, communicate, and use health information to make informed decisions. Take some time this month to use the Free Library to improve your own health literacy, so you can help yourself and others!
Use the online resources on our website, such as our Health Explore Topic and free online Health databases like Medline Plus.
Visit the South Philadelphia Library and speak with our Community Health Librarian to help you get your questions answered.
Check out health equipment from our Health Lending Library in South Philly, or check out books and DVDs about health.
Talk with your librarian at your neighborhood library about your health questions to find reliable, accurate health information.
October is also a great month to review your health insurance coverage. Open enrollment for Affordable Care Act insurance plans will take place from November 1-December 15 this year, and Medicare open enrollment begins October 15. If you need to speak to a navigator to learn more about health insurance, you can do so at these upcoming health fairs at five different neighborhood libraries.
To improve your cooking skills and knowledge of healthy eating, check out a class at our Culinary Literacy Center.
If you’re in West Philadelphia, check out the Free Library’s health corners, which give patrons a private space to look up health information, with a variety of print resources, a computer, printer, and online access.
Teens can get involved with Get HYPE Philly! programs that focus on health promotion and positive youth development.
You can also check out a wide variety of health programs offered across the Free Library system.
Finally, join us at the South Philadelphia Library for these Health Literacy Month events throughout October:
- Wednesday, October 4, 4:00-5:30 p.m.: Family Health Fair & Nutrition Lesson
- Wednesday, October 4, 5:00-5:45 p.m.: CPR Class (non-certification) with the Mobile CPR Project
- Monday, October 16, 6:00 p.m.: Indego Bicycle Street Skills
- Tuesday, October 17, 10:30 a.m.: Healthy Storytime with the Pennsylvania Ballet
- Monday, October 23, 4:00-6:00 p.m.: Meatless Mondays with Chef Char Nolan
- Monday, October 23, 6:00-8:00 p.m.: Mental Health & Wellness Workshop
- Tuesday, October 24, 4:15-5:30 p.m.: Teen Talk, Myths & Facts about Health
- Saturday, October 28, 11:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m.: A Taste of African Heritage cooking class
- Monday, October 30, 5:30-8:00 p.m.: Suicide Prevention Panel