If you know a 1st through 3rd grader who struggles to read and write at grade level, encourage them to find a love of reading and learning with Literacy Lab!
During Literacy Lab sessions, experienced teachers provide individual and small group instruction to help our youngest readers improve their reading comprehension, practice writing and word decoding, and develop critical thinking skills essential to becoming a strong reader. Literacy Lab begins the weekend of October 19 and 20, and occurs most weekends through the end of the 2019-2020 school year.
During each session, Literacy Lab teachers read a story then lead an in-depth discussion about its main ideas and the various ways the author expresses them throughout the book. Activities following the weekly read-aloud help children practice writing skills and gain confidence in telling their own stories. In addition, children can play word and letter games to improve phonics and sight word recognition, build vocabulary, and practice grammar rules. Children also have time to read books at their current reading level in a supportive environment.
Registration for Literacy Lab is required, and a responsible caregiver is expected to stay at the library during the program, though they are not expected to participate. Caregivers may register a participating child at the beginning of any session.
Children can attend Literacy Lab sessions on Saturdays from 12:00 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. or from 2:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. at the following neighborhood libraries:
- Independence Library | 18 S. 7th Street
- Kingsessing Library | 1202 S. 51st Street
- Logan Library | 133 Wagner Avenue
- McPherson Square Library | 601 E. Indiana Avenue
- Overbrook Library | 7422 Haverford Avenue
- South Philadelphia Library | 1700 S. Broad Street
- Tacony Library | 6742 Torresdale Avenue
Literacy Lab’s Sunday sessions are from 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. or from 3:15 p.m. to 4:45 p.m. at the following neighborhood libraries:
- Joseph E. Coleman Northwest Regional Library | 68 W. Chelten Avenue
- Lucien E. Blackwell West Philadelphia Regional Library | 125 S. 52nd Street
- Northeast Regional Library | 2228 Cottman Avenue
Literacy Lab begins Saturday, October 19, 2019 and runs until Sunday, May 17, 2020. Literacy Lab will not be held on the following dates:
- December 21
- December 22
- December 28
- December 29
- April 11
- April 12
Please contact the Office of Youth Services and Programs for additional information at 215-686-5372.