Item No: pdcc00050
Title: First Edifice of Christ Church 1865
Historic Street Address:
2nd & Church Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Christ Church was founded in 1695 by members of the Church of England, who built a small wooden church on the site of the present Christ Church building on 2nd Street above Market the following year. The image shows a small wooden structure with a bell suspended between two branches of a dead tree. A Picket fence separates the building from the sidewalk. In 1731 the old Christ Church was torn down to make way for the construction of the east end of the present day church whose corner-stone had been laid four years earlier.
A917.481 P536 v.1
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler