Item No: pdcc00053
Title: The Jolly Post.
Print and Picture Collection
The Jolly Post Tavern, which was one of the oldest landmarks of Frankford, stood on Main Street above Orthodox for over 100 years. Tradition has it that the inn was named by George Washington who spent a night there with his staff while on a reconnoitering trip around Frankford during the Revolutionary war. In honor of the occasion a night-long celebration was organized by the locals which so entertained Washington that on his return to Philadelphia the next day he laughingly referred to the tavern as that "jolly post". Other notable guests include General Lafayette and William Henry Harrison during his Presidential campaign in 1836.
The inn was a two storey stone structure with an attic and a porch running along the front. Its large wagon sheds and its stabling for forty horses afforded ample accomodations for the horses and teams of the farmers who stopped there on their way to market.
A917.481 P536 v.1
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Washington, George, 1732-1799
Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834
Harrison, William Henry, 1773-1841