Item No: pdcc02987
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.1, Events 1, page 25
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00043, bottom left [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 11.0 cm]:
The Blue Anchor Tavern stood at Front and Dock Streets and was the first building to be erected within the Philadelphia city limits. Originally a simple wooden structure it was rebuilt in brick as the city grew. The image here is of a well-developed Dock Street with many multi-storied buildings and a thriving commercial life - very different from the same site 200 year before when it was first built.
Item pdcc00044, top middle [image dimenstions 9.0 cm x 11.0 cm]:
"The first public-house designated as a 'coffee house' was built in Penn's time by Samuel Carpenter, on the east side of Front Street, probably above Walnut Street. That it was the first of its kind, the only one, in fact, for some years, seems to be established beyond doubt. It was always alluded to in old times as 'ye Coffee-House'. Samuel Carpenter owned also the Globe Inn, which was separated from the coffee house by a public stairway running down from Front Street to Water, and, it is supposed, to 'Carpenter's wharf'. The Coffee-House was a great place in those days; it was there the ship captains and merchants congregated to discuss the commercial and political news.."
Source: History of Philadelphia, 1609-1884, Volume 2, page #982, by Scharf and Westcott.
The probable date of construction is 1700. How long it endured is uncertain. The proprietor was one Henry Flower who was also postmaster of the province for a number of years, and it is believed that the coffee-house was used as the post-office as late as 1734.
A917.481 P536 v.1
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Guest, George, 1771-1831
Carpenter, Samuel, 1649-1714