Item No: pdcc02988
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.1, Events 1, page 26
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00040, top [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 11.0 cm]:
Wood engraving of the Penny Pot tavern which stood at the corner of Front and Vine Streets. One of the earliest and most popular "public houses" in Philadelphia in the late 17th Century, it achieved notoriety for selling beer at only a penny a pot, which was illegal at the time.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00041, bottom [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 11.0 cm]:
Old newspaper clipping showing a wood engraving of the Blue Anchor Inn as it might have looked 200 years before. The scene shows a group of six people in a small rowboat about to alight close to the inn and being greeted by two gentlemen standing on shore. In the foreground, on the opposite bank of the creek, stand a group of four native american indians looking on.
The original Blue Anchor (shown) was a wooden structure built by George Guest in 1682, and it was here that William Penn first broke bread in Philadelphia. For 200 years it was the oldest and most distinguished tavern within the city limits.
A917.481 P536 v.1
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Penn, William, 1644-1718
Guest, George, 1771-1831