Item No: pdcc01922
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.3, Events 2, page 37
Historic Street Address:
18th & Race Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00171, full page [image dimensions 28.5 cm x 23.5 cm]:
Engraving on wood depicts Bishop James Wood blessing the walls of the Cathedral of Sts. Peter & Paul on the day it was dedicated, November 20th., 1864. Bishop Kendrick initiated the building of the cathedral in 1846 at a time when catholics were a minority in Philadelphia and a growing anti-catholic sentiment had led to the "know-nothing riots" only two years before. In order to prevent vandalism there were no windows built at street level. In 1875, when Philadelphia was raised to the rank of Archdiocese, Bishop Wood became the first Archbishop of Philadelphia.
Caption is written in old style German text.
A917.481 P536 v.3
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Wood, James Frederick, 1813-1883
Kenrick, Francis Patrick, 1796-1863