Item No: pdcl00142
Title: Walnut Street, west from 4th
Additional Title: North side of Walnut Street at 4th
Historic Street Address:
Fourth and Walnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Covered wagons, a frequent sight in Philadelphia in the 1850s and 1860s, lend a rural atmosphere to this city scene. The trees of Independence Square are visible in the background. The gas lamp on the corner is fitted with an unusual accoutrement, a transparent street sign which was illuminated when the lamp was lighted."--OPEP, p. 147.
The street with commercial buildings on either side. People on the sidewalks; horse-drawn carts and carriages; streetcar on tracks on Walnut. Street lamp and utility poles on sidewalk; trees in background. Businesses include: "Spofford & Clark, shippers of coal," "Phoenix Mutual Life Insurance Company," "North Pennsylvania R.R. Co.," and "Lumberman's."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.12