Item No: pdcc01240
Title: Old Lancaster Road near General Wayne Inn.
Print and Picture Collection
Shows a rutted country road with a building in the middle distance. Winter trees frame the scene. Picket fences and partial views of buildings are visible in the foreground. The General Wayne Inn was built in 1704 at the intersection of Old Lancaster Road (now Montgomery Avenue) and Meeting House Lane, Merion, Pa. Known in Colonial times as the William Penn Inn, the Tunis Ordinary and Streeter's Tavern, the inn was familiar to Benjamin Franklin and George Washington. After the Revolution, the hostelry was renamed in honor of General Wayne, who had lodged there.
A917.481 P536 v.12
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler