Item No: pdcc02789
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.12, Streets 1, page 61
Historic Street Address:
Broad and Filbert Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcl00152, top:
"Standing on the site where the Masonic Temple was soon to be built were a number of small depots that received supplies from larger industries located on the west bank of the Schuylkill River. From this point coal, ice, produce and grain were distributed to residents of the immediate area and to other parts of the city. The Arch Street Methodist Church can be seen at the left. The photo can be dated by the theatrical posters on the billboards."--OPEP, p. 159.
Commercial buildings and a church along the street. Trolley tracks in street and a railroad car. Firms include: "George Cookman &c Depot ... & Commision Merchant" ; "Waverly Ice Co. Depot" ; "Lehigh & Schuylkill" ; "J. Blacksmiths Coal" ; "Coal from the J. Evans family coal yard" ; "... coal carefully prepared for family use."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.12
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
McMullin, Samuel, 1819- - Photographer