Item No: pdcc00644
Title: The Fourth Street National Bank of Philadelphia - The Bullitt Building.
Historic Street Address:
131-143 S.4th Street
Print and Picture Collection
Trade card for the Fourth Street National Bank depicting the The Bullitt Building, named by its owner John C. Bullitt. Bullitt was a lawyer and politician who founded the bank in 1886 and had the building constructed to house his enterprise. The Frank Furness-inspired building was designed by architects G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, who had studied under Furness. The enormous size of the building enabled Bullitt to rent out office space to other companies which made the Bullitt Building the first high-rise office building in Philadelphia.
A917.481 P536 v.8
Bullitt, John C. (John Christian), 1824-1902
Hewitt, George Watson, 1841-1916 - Architect
Hewitt, William Dempster, 1847–1924 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler