Advanced
The Second U. S. Mint

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00710
Title: The Second U. S. Mint
Historic Street Address: Chestnut & Juniper Streets, Northeast corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Photograph shows the second mint, which was built in 1833 from designs by architect William Strickland, who used the Temple of Ilyssus, near Athens, as a model. Both the front and rear facades were graced with six fluted Ionic columns supporting a plain pediment. The majestic white marble structure was nicknamed the "Grecian Temple." The building was sold and quickly demolished in 1902, following the mint's move to larger premises on Spring Garden Street.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.950724
Geocode Longitude:-75.162803

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.8
Creator Name: Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler