Castner Scrapbook v.8, Financial, page 27Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 1400 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 307-309 Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 416-420 Walnut Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00701, top [image dimensions 10.1 cm x 14.8 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of a photograph showing the Third National Bank which stood on the corner of Market Street and South Broad Street. James Windrim & Son designed the building which was built in 1892. It was demolished in the 1960s to make way for the construction of Dilworth Plaza.
Building demolished: YES ca. 1960
Item pdcc00702, bottom right [image dimensions 16.0 cm x 10.1 cm]:
Advertisement for the financial institution showing the facade of the building at 416-420 Walnut Street. The building also housed the offices of The Commercial Union Assurance Company. Built in 1889, it was designed by Theophilus P. Chandler and was considered a fine-example of late-nineteenth-century multi story office building design. It was demolished in the 1960s.
Building demolished: YES
Item pdcc00703, middle left [image dimensions 7.5 cm x 15.7 cm]:
Advertisement for the financial institution includes a description of its services and an engraving of its corner facade.
Item pdcc00704, bottom left [image dimensions 10.1 cm x 15.3 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph showing the facade of The Bank of North America, along with two vignetted sketches of the same site in 1782 and again in 1848. The Bank of North America was chartered in 1781, and was the nation's first commercial bank. The building on Chestnut Street was completed in 1848 after designs by John Notman.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.146492
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.8
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Chandler, Theophilus P. (Theophilus Parsons), 1845-1928 - Architect
Notman, John, 1810-1865 - Architect