Castner Scrapbook v.8, Financial, page 17Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 4th & Chestnut Streets, Southwest corner
Historic Street Address: Franklin Street and Girard Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00685, top left [image dimensions 10.5 cm x 13.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph showing the Union National Bank building, which is located on the corner of Third and Arch Streets. Completed in 1902, the neo-classical styled building was designed by Philadelphia architect John T. Brugger. The limestone facade consists of fluted Roman Doric columns supporting a medallioned cornice and a roofline balustrade.The doorway is decorated with an elaborate cartouche. By 1907 the building was home to the Corn Exchange National Bank and Trust Company. The new owner's name was inscribed on the cornice, where it remains to this day.
Item pdcc00686, top right [image dimensions 7.8 cm x 8.9 cm]:
This substantial and imposing marble building, built in 1836, was designed in the Greek Revival style by the prominent Philadelphia architect William Strickland. The front of the structure consisted of an elegant portico with fluted Corinthian columns, resting on a basement flanked by wings. Housed in this lower section (at street level) were the offices of the Western Bank and the Girard Life and Trust Company.
Item pdcc00687, bottom right [image dimensions 12.0 cm x 12.8 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph showing building which housed the National Security Bank. It was built in 1870 and is located on the Southeast corner of Franklin Street and Girard Avenue in the Kensington neighborhood. Also shows the cobblestones along Girard Avenue and trolley tracks and cables.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.148968
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.8
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Brugger, John Thompson (1887-1968) - Architect
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect