Castner Scrapbook v.8, Financial, page 1AHistorical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 427 Chestnut Street
Historic Street Address: 4th & Walnut Street, Southwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00641, top [image dimensions 16.7 cm x 15.4 cm]:
Depicts italianate marble facade of bank building. The Farmers' and Mechanics' Bank was headquartered here from 1855 until it merged with the Philadelphia National Bank in 1918. The American Philosophical Society acquired the building in 1981 and renamed it Benjamin Franklin Hall. Also shows, on the left, a partial view of the building in which the Girard Trust Company started its business, in 1836.
Item pdcc00642, bottom left [image dimensions 13.5 cm x 11.5 cm]:
Advertisement depicting the Centennial National Bank building at 32nd and Market Streets. Sign above the entrance advertises "private safes in burglar proof vaults for rent." Shows pedestrians and horse-drawn coach and carriage in front of the building's distinctive three-sided facade. Designed by notable architect Frank Furness, the building was built in 1876 as the home of the bank, which was chartered to finance the cost of the Centennial Exhibition. The building has undergone a series of renovations and restorations, most recently in 2002 when it became a part of the Drexel University campus. Listed below the image are the names of the bank's officers and directors.
Item pdcc00643, bottom right [image dimensions 12.0 cm x 10.5 cm]:
One of thirty-nine lithographic views of financial institutions from the borders of an 1886 map, Philadelphia in 1866, published by Burk & McFetridge. Depicts the second empire-style building on the corner of 4th & Walnut Streets.
Building demolished: YES
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.147928
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.8
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Burk & McFetridge