Item No: pdcl00062
Title: View southeast from the State House
Additional Title: View from State House with Library Hall
Print and Picture Collection
"In the foreground of this view from the State House toward the Delaware River is the original Library Hall. This building, which has housed Franklin's Library Company, was taken down in 1888 to give space for an office building. In 1956 the site was cleared again and the Library Hall was rebuilt in its old location for the American Philosophical Society. At the extreme left center in the photograph is the white rooftop of the Second Bank of the United States, and just above it Carpenters' Hall. In the center (middle distance) rises the cupola of the Merchants' Exchange. The area seen here is now part of Independence National Historic Park."--OPEP, p. 67.
Aerial view from the State House facing the Delaware river. In the foreground, Library Hall viewed through trees. Also visible part of the Second Bank of the United States, Carpenters' Hall and the cupola of the Merchants' Exchange Building. Commercial buildings include: "Inquirer Printing Office" ; Hardings Bible Manufactory" ; "Safet ... [Man]ufactory" ; "Evans Card Printing" ; "Library Street..." ; "Goldsmiths Hall".
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
A917.481 P536 v.7