Castner Scrapbook v.7, Walks, Views, Maps, page 79Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00628, top [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 15.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph looking northwest across Rittenhouse Square. Among others enjoying the park is a small child riding a tricycle. In the middle distance is the sculpture of The Lion by French sculptor Antoine Louis Barye. The Church of the Holy Trinity stands at the northwest corner of the square on Walnut Street.
Item pdcc00629, bottom [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 11.5 cm]:
Mauch Chunk was the original name of Jim Thorpe, a city in Carbon County, Pennsylvania. Its name, derived from the native Lenape people, means "bear mountain", although today it is often referred to as the "Gateway to the Poconos." The town was founded in 1818 by Josiah White, a pioneer of mining and transportation in the region. Its name was changed to Jim Thorpe following the death of the renowned Olympic athlete in 1953. His widow, Patricia, convinced the local civic officials that honoring her husband's memory in this way would help promote the newly created borough, which had been formed from the boroughs of Mauch Chunk and East Mauch Chunk.
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.7
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Barye, Antoine-Louis, 1796-1875 - Artist
White, Josiah, 1781-1850
Thorpe, Jim, 1887-1953