Castner Scrapbook v.19, Disasters, Criminal Prisons 1, page 9

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Castner Scrapbook v.19, Disasters, Criminal Prisons 1, page 9

Item Info

Item No: pdcc03150
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.19, Disasters, Criminal Prisons 1, page 9
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection

Item 1, top:  Caption reads, "Burning of the Union League Building in Philadelphia--Rescue of the Flag by Firemen."   This engraving appeared in Harper's Weekly on September 22, 1866, but the fire happened three weeks earlier, on September 7.  The scene depicts a crowd of spectators watching firemen using hoses and ladders to battle the blaze. The cause of the fire was not known, but suspected to have been arson.  The third floor was completely destroyed and soon rebuilt--identical to the original, but with more fire-resistant materials.  The Union League was founded in 1862, in support of Abraham Lincoln and the Union Army in the Civil War.  The building, at 140 S. Broad Street, was built in 1864-65, by architect John Fraser.  It was added to the US National Register of Historic Places in 1979.  Reproduction of an engraving for Harper's Weekly, 24 x 19.5 cm, 9/22/1866. 

Item 2, bottom left:  In the right foreground is an image of the Debtor's Wing, the northernmost building of the Moyamensing Prison complex, at 1400 E. Passyunk Avenue, in South Philadelphia.  All three sections of the prison were designed by architect Thomas Undick Walter.  The main building, seen at the left edge of the photograph, was built in 1832-35, in the English Gothic style.  The Debtor's Wing, added in 1836, was designed in the Egyptian Revival style.  The prison operated from 1835-1963, and was demolished in 1968, but the facade of the Debtor's Wing is preserved at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC.  Photograph, 8 x 7.5 cm, undated.

Item 3, bottom right: Image of the Stone Prison, as it appeared in 1728, located at the SW corner of 3rd & High (now Market) Streets.  It was occupied from 1723-1784.  Having then become overcrowded, the jail was demolished, and the prisoners were transferred to the Walnut Street Jail.  The building in the foreground housed the debtors' jail; the building to the left housed the workhouse, for criminals.  Reproduction of a lithograph, 18 x 11.5 cm, undated.

Creation Year: 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.145679
Geocode Latitude:39.949970

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.19
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Thomas Ustick Walter - Architect
John Fraser - Architect

View other associated items