Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1B

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1B

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01618
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1B
Additional Title: Stephen Girard Building plus two other locations.
Historic Street Address: 1316 Walnut Street
Historic Street Address: 1319-1323 Walnut Street
Historic Street Address: 19-25 South12th Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

The Stephen Girard Building was built in 1896 by the estate of Stephen Girard, the merchant and banker who was the wealthiest man in America on his death in 1831. The 13-story office building, located at 19-25 South 12th Street, was designed in the Renaissance Revival style by notable Philadelphia architect James Hamilton Windrim. 

Item 1, upper left corner: View of 12th Street looking south from the busy intersection with Market Street. The tall building in the middle distance is the Stephen Girard Office Building. Horse-drawn wagons share the street with electric trolley cars in this photograph published in King's Views of Philadelphia, p.9. (1901). Image size: 10.5cm x 16.9cm

Item 2, upper right corner: Architectural rendering of The Stephen Girard Office Building clearly shows the building's richly decorated concrete facade, particularly in the design of the 3rd floor cornice supported by Ionic columns. Published in the American Institute of Architect's T-Square Yearbook, p.7 (1896). Image size: 12.5cm x 19cm

Item 3, lower left corner: Photograph of the Witherspoon Building taken from the corner of Walnut and Sansom Streets. Completed in 1897, the 11-story steel-framed office building was designed by architect Joseph M. Huston. The brick and granite exterior features columns, medallions and seals of the Presbyterian church. The building was placed on the National Register Of Historic Places in 1978. Published in King's Views of Philadelphia, p. 16. (1901). Image size: 10.2cm x 16.4cm

Item 4, lower right corner:  Gentlemen's clubs or Elite clubs existed in Philadelphia since colonial times as an alternative to coffee houses where society's 'movers and shakers' could meet in private. The University Club, located at 1316 Walnut Street, was for men affiliated to the University of Pennsylvania. It was designed in the Spanish-Moorish style by noted architect, Wilson Eyre. Image size: 8.8cm x 10.3cm


Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949582
Geocode Longitude:-75.163183

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Windrim, James H. (James Hamilton), 1840-1919 - Architect
Huston, Joseph M. - Architect
Eyre, Wilson, 1858-1944 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler

View other associated items