Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 39

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 39

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01658
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 39
Additional Title: Boys' Central High School and one other.
Historic Street Address: 6th & Race Streets
Historic Street Address: Broad & Green Streets, Southwest corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, top: View of the Central High School for Boys which stood on the Southwest corner of Broad Street and Green Streets from 1900 until it was demolished in 1961. The domes contained a 15-inch telescope of the Philadelphia Observatory. Founded in 1834, the school is the second oldest continuously public high school in the United States. In 1939, Central moved to a new location at Ogontz and Olney Avenues, and turned coed in 1983. Halftone reproduction of a photograph, c.1901. 20.2 x 18.0cm.
Notes: Item 2, bottom: Photographic reproduction of a cartoon showing unrest the morning before the night of May 17, 1838, when anti-black rioters burned to the ground Pennsylvania Hall. The Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society had opened the hall as a meeting place only three days prior to the conflagration. It stood at 6th and St. Mary Streets. 12.6 x 10.1cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.954467
Geocode Longitude:-75.149553

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler