Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 20Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Item No: pdcc01639
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 20
Additional Title: Betz Building and three others.Historic Street Address: 50th Street & Chester Avenue
Historic Street Address: Broad & Callowhill Streets, Southeast corner
Historic Street Address: Broad Street & S. Penn Square, Southeast corner
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, upper left: Exterior view of the Betz Building, a Victorian skyscraper constructed 1889-1890 after designs by architect William H. Decker. John F. Betz, who made his fortune brewing beer, built his 13 story office building on Broad Street at the Southeast corner of South Penn Square. The building was widely admired for the beauty of its granite facade, which featured bronze heads of U.S. Presidents. It was demolished in 1926 to make way for the art deco inspired PNB Building. Photograph published in King's Views, 1900. 10 x 16.5cm.
Notes: Item 2, upper right corner: Depiction of the First Regiment Armory located on the Southeast corner of Broad and Callowhill Streets. Built between 1882-1890 after designs by architect James Hamilton Windrim, the armory served as home to the 103rd Engineer Regiment. For most of its existence it was used as a venue for conventions and exhibitions. It was demolished in 1979. Reproduction of a drawing in ink. 13.8 x 11.4cm.
Notes: Item 3, lower left: Montage of various views of the Frankford Arsenal, a United States Army ammunition plant situated originally on 20 acres that fronted on Frankford Creek. Captions identify the main entrance and office; the target and magazine; the hospital; making bullets; the Colonel's headquarters. The arsenal was in operation between 1816 and 1977. Engraving on wood published in unidentified newspaper, n.d. 17.8 x 10.4cm.
Notes: Item 4, center right: View of the Belmont Country Club in West Philadelphia. Located near S.50th Street and Chester Avenue, the Belmont was one of the four principal cricket clubs in the city during the late 19th Century. Founded in 1874 and disbanded in 1914. Photographic reproduction, n.d. 10.6 x 8.3cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.061046
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler