Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1C

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1C

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01619
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 1C
Additional Title: The Union League plus one other location.
Historic Street Address: 140 S. Broad Street
Historic Street Address: 24 S. 7th Street
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

The Union League of Philadelphia was organized in 1862 as a patriotic association in support of the United States Government and the Union cause. In 1865, the organization moved from its original home on Chestnut Street to a Second Empire-styled building at Broad and Sansom Streets. Architect John Fraser chose a brick and brownstone facade for the building's construction and designed dramatic twin circular staircases rising to the main entrance. Famed architect, Horace Trumbauer completed additions in the Beaux-Arts style in 1911, expanding the length of the building to a city block.

Item 1. upper half: Cyanotype photograph c.1868 of the club's building before the Trumbauer additions. The side of the Academy of Natural Sciences' building can be seen on the extreme right. Image size: 20cm x 25cm

Item 2. lower left: Albumen photograph showing a view of the Union League building looking south on Broad Street. A coach and two horses is waiting by the curb. Half of a stereograph. Image size: 7.6cm x 7.2cm

Item 3. lower right: Engraving of the Gas Office building a.k.a. German Society Hall, 24 S. 7th Street. Georgian-style brick building built in 1809. Image size: 8.5cm x 5.3cm


Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.949949
Geocode Longitude:-75.164385

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Trumbauer, Horace, 1868-1938 - Architect
Fraser, John, 1825-1906 - Architect

View other associated items