Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 24Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Item No: pdcc01643
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 24
Additional Title: Armory of the First Regiment, N.G.P of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia and two othersHistoric Street Address: 131-143 S. 4th Street
Historic Street Address: Broad & Callowhill Streets, Southeast corner
Historic Street Address: S. 50th Street & Chester Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, top: View of the Armory of the First Regiment, National Guard of Pennsylvania, located at the Southeast corner of Broad and Callowhill Streets. Reproduction of a photograph, n.d. 21 x 15.5cm.
Notes: Item 2, lower left: Photograph of the clubhouse and grounds of the Belmont Cricket Club, located at South 50th Street and Elmwood Avenue. Spectators are shown seated on bleachers surrounding the building as well as on the balconies. Two accompanying scraps show an engraved vignette of the clubhouse and a newspaper clipping of a bill of purchases in 1781 by Capt. A. McLane. Reproduction of a photograph, n.d. 14 x 9.5cm.
Notes: Item 3, lower right: Reproduction of a tinted photograph showing the corner of the Bullitt Building, named by its owner John C. Bullitt. Bullitt was a lawyer and politician who founded the Fourth Street National Bank in 1866 and had the building constructed to house his enterprise. The Frank-Furness-inspired building was designed by architects G.W. and W.D. Hewitt, who had studied under Furness. The enormous size of the building enabled Bullitt to rent out office space to other companies which made the Bullitt Building the first high-rise office building in Philadelphia. 9 x 13.8cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1854
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.161967
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler