Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 34

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 34

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01653
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 34
Additional Title: Merchants Exchange and one other.
Historic Street Address: 140 N. 6th Street, Philadelphia
Historic Street Address: Walnut & Dock Streets, Philadelphia
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, upper left: Photograph of the Merchants Exchange building as seen from the corner of Walnut and Dock Streets. The historic building was built 1832-34 in the Greek Revival style after designs by William Strickland. The lantern on top of the building is an exact copy from an ancient Greek monument. Several omnibus lines had their termini outside the circular rear of the building on Dock Street. Albumen print trimmed into oval shape. Date penned on print, June 1859. 13.4 x 18.4cm.
Notes: Item 2, lower right: Photograph showing the facade of Odd Fellow's Hall on the West side of Sixth Street below Race Street. The Independent Order of Odd Fellows was a charitable organization begun in England in the 18th century. The secretive organization inaugurated lodges in major American cities in the early 1800s. Shown here is their first home in Philadelphia, where they met from about 1838 until 1895, when they moved to their new Temple at Broad and Cherry Streets. Albumen print, faded, trimmed into oval shape. Date penned on print, 1859. 13.4 x 18.5cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1854
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.946978
Geocode Longitude:-75.145332

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler