Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 29Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Item No: pdcc01648
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 29
Additional Title: Masonic Hall and one other.Historic Street Address: 2nd & Sansom Streets
Historic Street Address: Broad & Filbert Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, top: Depiction of the Chamber of Commerce building on the corner of 2nd & Gothic Streets. The Commercial Exchange occupied the first floor of the building. Built in 1867-68 by architect John Crump, the building was partially destroyed by fire a year later and rebuilt in 1870 after designs by James Hamilton Windrim. Additional alterations and additions were made in the ensuing years, until it was demolished in 1977. Also known as the home of the Keystone Telephone Co. Exchange. Shows pedestrian and street traffic. Engraving. 17.3 x 10.5cm.
Notes: Item 2, bottom: View of the Masonic Hall on the Northeast corner of Broad & Filbert Streets. This landmark building was built in 1873 to house the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania. Designed in the Norman-style by noted architect James H. Windrim, the historic building contains several magnificent lodge rooms, each furnished in distinct styles. Photographic print, n.d. 17.8 x 22cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.163146
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler