Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 51Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Item No: pdcc01670
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 51
Additional Title: Moyamensing Hall and 4 others.Historic Street Address: 1309 Sansom Streets
Historic Street Address: 310 Quince Street
Historic Street Address: 920 Christian Street
Historic Street Address: Camac & St. James Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, bottom left: Drawing of Moyamensing Hall, built as the Commissioner's Hall for the township of Moyamensing. During the Civil War it served as a hospital for wounded soldiers, and briefly named Christian Street Hospital. After the war the city was hit hard with a cholera epidemic, and Moyamensing suffered a higher death rate than the rest of Philadephia. The city decided to use the hall as a cholera hospital triggering an uprising by local residents, who burned down the hall in 1866. Reproduction of drawing clipped from unknown publication. 11 x 9.8 cm.
Notes: Item 2, bottom right: Illustration of fire fighters pulling a fire truck past Moyamensing Hall, which was built as the Commissioner's Hall for Moyamensing Township. After serving as a hospital for wounded Civil War soldiers, the hall was to become a cholera hospital but was burned to the ground by local residents to prevent this from happening. Reproduction of illustration. 7.5 x 12.4 cm.
Notes: Item 3, top left: Newspaper photograph of the Mask and Wig Clubhouse, 310 Quince Street. The clubhouse was built in the early 1800s and served as a church, a stable and a carriage house. In 1889 building was converted to a clubhouse by noted architect Wilson Eyre with interior decorations by Maxfield Parrish. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Clipping from unknown newspaper. 7.7 x 11.5 cm.
Notes: Item 4, top center: Newspaper photograph of the Hotel Clerks' Club, 1309 Sansom Street. Clipping from unknown newspaper. 9.3 x 11.6 cm.
Notes: Item 5, top right: Newspaper photograph of the Franklin Inn Club, 205 S. Camac Street. Designed in 1907 by architect Francis G. Caldwell who sought to reproduce the appearance and ambience of an inn in Ben Franklin's time. The Franklin Inn Club was formed in 1902 by a group of the city's cultural elite to provide a private meeting and dining place to promote literary activities of Philadelphia. Clipping from unknown newspaper. 7.7 x 10 cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1845
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.158651
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler