Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 25

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 25

Item Info

Item No: pdcc01644
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.15, Sundry Buildings 1, page 25
Additional Title: Commissioners Hall, Northern Liberties and two others
Historic Street Address: 131-143 S. 4th Street
Historic Street Address: 3rd & Green Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: Item 1, top: Before the City of Philadelphia consolidated its bordering townships in 1854, neighborhoods maintained their own government offices in Commissioner's Halls. The photograph shows the one for Northern Liberties on Third Street, below Green Street. On the wooden fence bordering the property are several advertising posters including one for Fox's American Theatre. A horse and cart are shown parked under the trees on Third Street. 22.4 x 18.3cm.
Notes: Item 2, lower left: Tinted illustration of the facade of the Bullitt Building, which was located 131-143 S. 4th Street. Designed in 1866 by G.W. & W.D. Hewitt, the Frank Furness-inspired building was built by John C. Bullitt (1824-1902), a lawyer and politician. Home to Bullitt's Fourth Street National Bank, the building was so large that Bullitt was able to accommodate additional businesses, thus creating the city's first high-rise office building. Shows a horse-drawn tram and a hansom cab speeding down Fourth Street. 8.3 x 12.3cm.
Notes: Item 3, lower right: Cyanotype photograph of part of the Philadelphia Navy Yard complex. 12.8 x 10.4cm.
Creation Year: ca. 1854
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.948789
Geocode Longitude:-75.147578

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.15
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler