"John Bull" Steam Locomotive.Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of the locomotive "John Bull" which operated on the Camden and Amboy Railroad between 1833 and 1866.
Clipping from The Illustrated American, Volume 6. April 18, 1891. [page 436.]
Complete caption reads: This locomotive was built in England by John Stephenson in 1831, and was put into service on the Camden and Amboy road between Bordentown and South Amboy in 1832. The engine was in regular service until 1860, when it was taken out of road service and put into service at the Bordentown shops at sawing wood for wood-burning locomotives. This was done by hoisting the driving-wheels clear of the rail and putting a band on the driving-wheel axle. In 1866 the locomotive was taken out and again put in road service between Dean's Pond and Rocky Hill. This was the last service performed by "John Bull."
In 1884 the locomotive was purchased by the Smithsonian Institution.
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.10
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler