Item No: pdcc02585
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.10, Transportation, page 60
Historic Street Address:
12th & Market Streets, Northeast corner
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01012, second down on the left [image dimensions 8.9 cm x 11.6 cm]:
Elevated view of the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad Terminal, published in 1893 by the Illustrated Post Card Company, New York. The awnings on the left edge belong to the Hotel Vendig. Hansom cabs are parked in front of the headhouse.
Item pdcc01013, third down on the left [image dimensions 7.7 cm x 14.0 cm]:
Postcard view of Devon railroad station, Chester County, Pa. The English Tudor-style station was originally built by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1890. The line was electrified in 1915. Located at 98 North Devon Boulevard and Lancaster Avenue, the station is served by SEPTA commuter trains on the Paoli/Thorndale Line.
Item pdcc01014, second down on the right [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 11.4 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of a painting of Stephen Girard's legendary ship Good Friends, under full sail. Girard bought and rebuilt the ship in Philadelphia in 1792. The 246 ton vessel was the merchant's first large ship. It was captured by the British in 1813.
Item pdcc01015, bottom [image dimensions 4.0 cm x 13.0 cm]:
Reproduction of a wood engraving depicting horse-drawn freight cars, owned by the Union Line, making their way down the center of Market Street. People on the sidewalks look on at the commotion caused by the horses as they strain to pull the freight cars along the tracks. A man sits atop the leading car, and two others steady the horses, while a frightened dog flees the scene. On the far side of the street sits a covered wagon for hire. Also shows a partial view of store fronts and a drug warehouse owned by W. H. Falcon Co.
A917.481 P536 v.10
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Illustrated Post Card Company - Artist