Item No: pdcc02537
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.10, Transportation, page 13
Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc01003, bottom [image dimensions 11.0 cm x 17.5 cm]:
Drawing of a steamboat, as seen from the front, docked at Smith Island on the Delaware River. Caption in lower left corner written in the hand of George Robert Bonfield (1805-1898), a leading marine painter working in the Philadelphia area during the Nineteenth Century. Caption reads: Steamer B........at Smith Island off Philad. 1850. The words "from nature" are written lower right corner.
Item pdcc01018, top [image dimensions 9.6 cm x 15.9 cm]:
Illustration of the steamer John S. McKim, flying the flag of the Clyde-Mallory Line of New York. Built by Philadelphia shipbuilder Thomas Clyde in 1844, the ship was the first twin-screw propeller steamer built in the United States for commercial purposes. The Clyde Steamship Company was established in Philadelphia in 1844. It owned and controlled a large number of ships serving the east coast ports between Philadelphia and Jacksonville, Florida. In 1872 the company moved its headquarters to New York, extending its service between Boston, New York and numerous West Indies ports.
Item pdcc01019, middle [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 15.8 cm]:
Illustration of the steamer Iroquois flying the flag of the Clyde Steamship Company. Built in 1888, the 300 ton Iroquois was the first steel steamer ever built in America for commercial purposes. Established in Philadelphia in 1844 by Thomas Clyde, the Clyde Steamship Company owned and operated numerous steamships connecting Philadelphia with east coast ports, terminating in Jacksonville. Moving their headquarters to New York in 1872, the company extended its service to include Boston, New York and ports in the West Indies.
A917.481 P536 v.10
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Bonfield, George Robert, 1805-1898 - Artist