Item No: pdcc01018
Title: Steamship John S. McKim.
Additional Title: Clyde Steamship Co.
Print and Picture Collection
Illustration of the steamer John S. McKim, flying the flag of the Clyde-Mallory Line of New York. Built by Philadelphia shipbuilder Thomas Clyde in 1844, the ship was the first twin-screw propeller steamer built in the United States for commercial purposes. The Clyde Steamship Company was established in Philadelphia in 1844. It owned and controlled a large number of ships serving the east coast ports between Philadelphia and Jacksonville, Florida. In 1872 the company moved its headquarters to New York, extending its service between Boston, New York and numerous West Indies ports.
A917.481 P536 v.10
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler