Item No: pdcc01001
Title: Ferry House, Norristown, Pa. 1842
Print and Picture Collection
Unfinished watercolor drawing of the ferry house on the banks of the Schuylkill River at Norristown, Pa. Written caption below image possibly in the hand of George Robert Bonfield (1805-1898) a notable marine painter working in the Philadelphia area.
From its modest beginnings as a seventeenth-century settlement along the banks of Schuylkill River, Norristown grew in stature as its industry boomed, attracting waves of immigrants to its mills and forges. With the formation of Montgomery County in 1784, Norristown was formed as the county seat, and in 1812 was incorporated as a borough.
A917.481 P536 v.10
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler