Item No: pdcc00993
Title: Frankford Steam Dummy
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of an Evening Public Ledger photograph, altered for publication, of a steam-driven street car. "Dummies" were street cars powered by small steam engines. They were used in parts of the city, notably Frankford, as replacements of horsecars from 1863 to 1893 when electric trolleys took their place.
Caption reads: The Steam "Dummy" with trailer, which supplanted the horse car on 2nd and 3rd sts. line in Frankford. The first run was on March 15, 1858. There was much agitation about the cars running on Sunday. Operation of the "Dummies", at one time numbering eleven, suspended in 1893, with the advent of the electric trolley.
A917.481 P536 v.10
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler