Castner Scrapbook v.10, Transportation, page 34Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Historic Street Address: 24th & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Item pdcc00957, top left [image dimensions 22.7 cm x 17.8 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph showing the Frank Furness addition to the Broad Street Railroad Station at Broad and Market Streets. Completed in 1893, the building greatly exapanded on the original station (visible on the extreme right) making it the largest passenger terminal in the world. Wilson Brothers Company designed the original structure which opened in 1881. The Pennsylvania Rail Road used this station until the 1950s. The station was demolished in 1953.
Item pdcc00963, bottom right [image dimensions 7.9 cm x 10.0 cm]:
Halftone reproduction of photograph showing the towered passenger station built for the Baltimore & Ohio Railway near 24th & Market Streets. Completed in 1888, the structure was designed by noted architect Frank Furness.in the Flemish Revival style. Illuminated letters on the tower spell "B & O". The railroad ended passenger service to Philadelphia in 1958, and the station was demolished in 1963.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.178747
Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.10
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Furness, Evans & Co. - Architect
Wilson Brothers & Co. - Architect