Item No: pdcc00462
Title: The Schuylkill Permanent Bridge High Street Philadelphia.
Print and Picture Collection
Scene of a coverd bridge spanning a river with boats in the water. Two men gesturing on the riverbank.
Completed in 1805, the Schuylkill Permanent Bridge was the first covered bridge in America. Buit to replace a pontoon bridge at High Street (now Market) this new bridge was covered to protect it from the weather and thus extend its life. Designed by notable bridge architect Timothy Palmer, with woodwork and ornamentation by Owen Biddle, the bridge became a famous Philadelphia landmark. Widened in 1850 to accomodate a railroad connection with the Columbia and Pennsylvania Railroads, it was destroyed by fire in 1875.
A917.481 P536 v.6
Biddle, Owen, 1774-1806
Palmer, Timothy, 1751-1821 - Architect
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler