Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 26

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 26

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02202
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 26
Historic Street Address: 13th & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: 1727-1733 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 177 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 609 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 7th & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00476, middle left [image dimensions 9.7 cm x 17.8 cm]:

Advertisement for Wm. F. Potts, iron and steel merchants, incorporating two vignetted views of the company's warehouse and store at 1230 - 1234 Filbert Street and 1225 Market Street, respectively. Shows horse-drawn carts and pedestrians in front of both buildings.


Notes:

Item pdcc00477. bottom left [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 7.0 cm]:

Advertisement for men's clothier Stokes & Buzby depicting a scene outside their store at 7th & Market Streets. Salesmen are shown directing the attention of passersby to the company's products on display.


Notes:

Item pdcc00478, bottom right [image dimensions 11.9 cm x 12.4 cm]:

Advertisement, taken from the Philadelphia Wholesale Business Directory, for dry goods merchants located at 177 Market Street.  Depicts a man standing in the entranceway and a small boy in a pony and trap waiting in the street. Boxes are piled on the sidewalk. Product lists flank the central image below which the following names of merchants are listed:  W. H. Reed, H. H. Reed, J. E. Lewars, E. J. Reed, T. W. Ackley, A. T. Lane.


Notes:

Item pdcc00479, top right [image dimensions 10.0 cm x 12.0 cm]:

Advertisement for provision merchants Brooke, Colket & Co. depicting the company's warehouse adjacent to the freight railroad station of the West Chester and Philadelphia Railroad. A group of people attempt to cross the road, which is busy with traffic of all kinds.


Notes:

Item pdcc00480, middle right [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 4.7 cm]:

Trade card for wholesale druggists, Stretch Bennett & Co., depicting their six story building on Market Street. Shows a horse-drawn streetcar passing by and two horse-drawn carts pulled up in front of the building.


Notes:

Item pdcc00481, top left [image dimensions 8.5 cm x 11.0 cm]:

Depiction of Tivoli Garden, the first public garden in Philadelphia to offer theatrical exhibitions and concerts. It stood on Market Street just west of 13th Street. Opened as The Columbian Garden in 1813 by Laurence Astolfi, a confectioner and distiller, it was re-named the Tivoli Garden by Stanislau Surin who succeeded Astolfi in 1820.

Building demolished: YES


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.952338
Geocode Longitude:-75.160969

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.6
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Adrian & Probasco - Engraver
Probasco, Simon, 1794?-1833 - Engraver
Adrian, William - Engraver
Astolfi, Laurence
Surin, Stanislaus