Item No: pdcc00507
Title: The House in which Thos. Jefferson wrote the Declaration of Indpendence.
Historic Street Address:
7th & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Depiction of Declaration House, a.k.a. Jacob Graff house, at the southwest corner of 7th and Market Streets. Second floor awning is inscribed with the words Birth Place of Liberty. Signage and shop window displays on the first floor indicate the businesses of W. Brown, men's clothier, and Jordans Shoe Warehouse.
In the summer of 1775, Thomas Jefferson was looking to rent rooms away from the distractions of the city to write the Declaration of Independence. He found the ideal location at Jacob Graff's house at 7th & Market Street which at the time lay on the outskirts of town. Jacob Graff, a bricklayer, built the house for himself and his family the year before. The original structure was demolished in 1883, and reconstructed from old photographs in 1975.
A917.481 P536 v.6
Jefferson, Thomas, 1743-1826
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler