Item No: pdcc00536
Title: High (Market) Street, with the First Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, in 1800.
Historic Street Address:
Front & Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
Halftone reproduction of Birch's view depicting well-dressed pedestrians on the sidewalk in front of the First Presbyterian Church, in 1800. On the left is a partial view of the market sheds, or "shambles", which ran along the centre of the street. Horse-drawn carts are also shown. The First Presbyterian Church was erected here in 1793 and abandoned in 1820.
Published in The Merchants Guide. Philadelphia in 1800 and in 1907. Twenty Seventh Anniversary Number. Vol. 28, No. 1456.
A917.481 P536 v.6
Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler