Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 33

Historical Images of Philadelphia Castner Scrapbook Collection
Advanced
Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 33

Item Info

Item No: pdcc02207
Title: Castner Scrapbook v.6, Market Street, page 33
Historic Street Address: 626 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 6th & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: 7th & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: 811-812 Market Street
Historic Street Address: 8th & Market Streets
Historic Street Address: 9th & Market Streets
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Item pdcc00497, center [image dimensions 8.8 cm x 9.0 cm]:

Depiction of horse-drawn trolleys, carriages and carts crisscrossing each other at the busy intersection of 7th & Market Streets. The sidewalk in front of the clothing store of Brown & Co. is bustling with shoppers.


Notes:

Item pdcc00498, middle right [image dimensions 8.0 cm x 7.5 cm]:

Left half of a stereograph showing the facade of the five-story building housing Hood, Bonbright & Co., dry goods merchants, 811-815 Market Street.  Shows two boys at the entranceway to the building, one of whom is sitting on a large crate.


Notes:

Item pdcc00499, bottom left [image dimensions 7.8 cm x 7.5 cm]:

Half stereograph shows the five-story building at 624-628 Market Street owned by the prominent publishing house Claxton, Remsen and Haffelfinger. Also shows adjacent buildings adorned with signboards advertising the following businesses: George H. Vandike & Co., wine merchants, at No. 630; T. (indecipherable), seller of watches, jewelry and silverware, at No. 622.


Notes:

Item pdcc00500, bottom right [image dimensions 9.0 cm x 13.0 cm]:

Depiction of Oak Hall, a large clothing house established by John Wanamaker with his brother-in-law Nathan Brown. This was Wanamaker's first store, which he opened in 1861. The building was located at the corner of Sixth and Market streets . Shows people on the sidewalk and a horse-drawn trolley making its way down Sixth Street.


Notes:

Item pdcc00501, left, third down [image dimensions 6.5 cm x 5.7 cm]:

Depicts the famed dry goods store a year after it was founded in 1868 by Justus C. Strawbridge and Isaac H. Clothier. Situated at the northwest corner of Eight and Market Streets, this premier establishment grew northward and westward to become the world's largest dry goods building.


Notes:

Item pdcc00502, top right [image dimensions 11.8 cm x 16.6 cm]:

Halftone reproduction of photograph showing southside of Market Street at Ninth Street. The large facade is that of the new Gimbel Brothers department store which has yet to have its name on display.  Shows horse-drawn carriages and trolleys at the busy intersection, and sidewalks bustling with pedestrians.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.950994
Geocode Longitude:-75.153591

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.6
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Scattergood, David - Engraver
Wanamaker, John, 1838-1922
Brown, Nathan, 1829-1868
Strawbridge, Justus C.
Clothier, Isaac H. (Isaac Hallowell), 1837-1921